Ages 13 and over
Variety of accommodation
With/without French lessons
Explore the French Atlantic Coast!
Paris has everything… except a beach! Mainland France is home to over 5000km of coastline (yes, it’s steep!) and 4000 km of it is on the west coast (English Channel and Atlantic Ocean). If you want to “sea” another side to France and soak up its diverse natural and cultural heritage, then dive into an adventure with VAL!
Here are three regions to experience with VAL : Brittany, Normandy and Vendée.
Brittany, an incredible region for a French holiday
Welcome to Brittany, degemer mat e Breizh!
Brittany is a region in North West France between the English Channel and Atlantic Ocean. Brittany (Breizh in the local dialect, Breton) is a unique area seeped in Celtic culture that tourists love to visit in summer and winter alike. It’s among the most popular regions in France and famous for its incredible coastline.
So, is Nantes part of Brittany or not? Not officially but its culture and history certainly are (along with the rest of the Nantes area). Be sure to visit its impressive Château des Ducs de Bretagne whilst exploring the local landmarks!
Brittany has become a spa hotspot as it’s famous nationwide for its treatments, whether you’re looking to unwind, recharge your batteries or get fit.
No trip to Brittany would be complete without sampling local dishes such as kouign amann (cake), crêpes, far Breton (cake), andouille de Guéméné (sausage), Cancale oysters, seafood and so much more all washed down with Breton cider.
This is the place to party at fest-noz (traditional dances) plus countless festivals all summer long in Brittany: Vieilles Charrues, Cornouaille Kemper, Les Filets Bleus and Lorient Interceltic Festival.
Why book your language stay in Brittany?
Brittany is ideal if you like mild weather: it isn’t too hot in summer or too cold in winter!
Because Brittany is such a unique area: its history, culture and granite houses are unique!
To gaze at its signature coastline and unspoilt islands
- Miles of incredible coastline home to coves, sprawling beaches, granite cliffs topped by lighthouses, traditional granite houses, fishing villages and sea resorts from Cancale to the Gulf of Morbihan.
- Magical islands: Bréhat, Molène, Ouessant, Groix, Belle-Île, Hoëdic and its rocky peninsulas.
- Buzzing historical towns that are a sight for sore eyes: Rennes (student city), Nantes (home to the Dukes of Brittany), Dinan, Dinard, Saint Malo, Vannes etc.
- Sites packed with mystery and legends such as the Carnac megaliths and Brocéliande Forest
- 27 “petites cités de caractère©” where you can soak up the Breton atmosphere: Rochefort en Terre, Malestroit, Guingamp etc.
- Countless châteaux and fortifications capturing the region’s history from the Middle Ages to the French Revolution: Brest, Fougères, Josselin, Fort de Saint Malo etc.
- A world-class gem between Brittany and Normandy: Mont Saint Michel
North of Brittany: Sweet Normandy
Normandy has always been a haven of peace on the North West coast of France looking out onto the Channel. It flows like a river and winds through the sea and countryside. The region is overflowing with history and traditions. Normandy is a prime destination for leisure and relaxation with its famous seaside resorts, natural scenery and local produce.
Normandy is home to a whole host of landscapes with the sea and 600km of coastline, majestic cliffs, sprawling sand beaches and famous sea resorts including Deauville, Dieppe, Cabourg, Le Touquet, Etretat, Fécamp, Trouville, Honfleur etc.
Normandy is also a leafy region with countryside and flourishing state forests, apple orchards, never-ending meadows, parks, gardens, 4 regional nature parks and the Bessin Marsh.
If you love the great outdoors then you’ll love the Norman countryside with its countless paths to explore on foot, by bike or on horseback.
Why book your language stay in Normandy?
ideal if you like mild weather: it isn’t too hot in summer or too cold in winter!
Its landscapes that have inspired many a painter
Its fantastic culture and heritage
- Breath-taking coastal features such as the Etretat cliffs
- Fortifications such as in Falaise
- Colourful ports such as Honfleur
- Seaside resorts such as Deauville
- Cathedral such as Rouen
- Charming villages such as Veules-Les-Roses
- Memorial sites such as the D-Day Beaches
- A world-class gem between Brittany and Normandy: Mont Saint Michel
South of Brittany : in and around Vendée
The department of Vendée lies south of the Loire region on the Atlantic coast. It’s the perfect destination if you love the sea, sun, unique sights and history.
Sail from one island to the next (Aix, Oléron, Ré, Noirmoutier, Yeu) and get up close to Fort Boyard, a former prison that set the scene for a French game show. Take time out to soak up the chilled vibes at seaside resorts such as Royan.
Explore its outstanding natural sites such as Payré Estuary or soak up “Green Venice” on a boat ride in the Poitevin Marsh.
If you’re a history buff then travel back in time through France’s past with village reconstructions and spellbinding shows at Puy du Fou theme park. Make time to visit La Rochelle and explore its medieval sites and towers.
Why book your language stay in Vendée?
Like most French regions, Vendée is full to bursting with history, culture, craftsmanship, food and drink.
It’s heaven on earth if you love the sun and sea.
It’s the perfect place to soak up the great outdoors, take to the high seas or explore inland.
- Puy du Fou theme park
- Poitevin Marsh
- Payré Estuary
- Islands such as île de Noirmoutier on the Passage du Gois causeway
- Beaches such as Sables d’Olonne
• CHOOSE YOUR STAY PACKAGE •
Our language and cultural stay packages
Check out our stay packages (with or without French lessons) with a range of durations and activities.
- “BRET stay 5” (5 days/4 nights): 9 hrs of French lessons, 4 half-day activities, 4 overnight stays
- “BRET stay 6” (6 days/5 nights): 12 hrs of French lessons, 6 half-day activities, 5 overnight stays
- “BRET stay 7” (7 days/6 nights): 15 hrs of French lessons, 7 half-day activities, 6 overnight stays
- “BRET stay 14” (14 days/13 nights): 30 hrs of French lessons, 10 half-day and 2 full-day activities, 13 overnight stays
- “Cultural BRET stay 5” (5 days/4 nights): 2 museum tours, 1 guided tour, 3 quirky tours, 2 day trips, 4 overnight stays
- “Cultural BRET stay 6” (6 days/5 nights): 2 museum tours, 2 guided tours, 3 quirky tours, 2 day trips, 5 overnight stays
- “Cultural BRET stay 7” (7 days/6 nights): 3 museum tours, 3 guided tours, 4 quirky tours, 2 day trips, 6 overnight stays
- “Cultural BRET stay 14” (14 days/13 nights): 4 museum tours, 4 guided tours, 5 quirky tours, 4 day trips, 13 overnight stays
- “Exception BRET stay 5” (5 days/4 nights): 2 guided tours, 1 workshop, 4 tours and a show, 4 overnight stays
- “Exception BRET stay 6” (6 days/5 nights): 3 guided tours, 2 workshops, 5 tours and a show, 5 overnight stays
- “Exception BRET stay 7” (7 days/6 nights): 4 guided tours, 3 workshops, 5 tours, 1 day trip and a show, 6 overnight stays
- “Exception BRET stay 14” (14 days/13 nights): 6 guided tours, 4 workshops, 6 tours, 3 days trips and 1 show, 13 overnight stays
Get the full French experience and stay in a host family :
Visit Brittany, Normandy and/or Vendée with Vacances Actives Linguistiques on your choice of stay package :
- Language stay (cultural activities + French lessons)
- Cultural stay (trip focusing on French culture without French lessons)
- “Exception française” stay : specific break focusing on regional Brittany and Normandy signatures.
- Cultural activities include regular and quirky tours, workshops and experiences, excursions and guided tours.
Each overnight stay includes:
- Host family (2 or 3 students per family) or hotel accommodation (dorms
- Half-board basis (breakfast and dinner)
Our language stay programmes include:
- Half-board accommodation (host family, residence or hotel)
- French lessons (optional) with qualified teachers
- Customised activities and excursions
- French as a foreign language-experienced staff and guides
- Airport transfer
- Public transport pass
- End of course language certificate
Transportation & transfert
Our travel package includes transfer from the airport and a public transport pass for every visitor.
The VAL agency provides free travel to 1 group leader for 15 paying students (the same accommodation and board basis as the students, tours and activities are free).
All our Paris stays include half-board accommodation in the accommodation of your choice:
- Host family (ideal for the full experience), for 2-3 students per family
- 2 or 3* hotels, hotel residences and youth hostels (dorms)
Please see our accommodation page for further information.
• take french lessons •
Our partner schools and French courses
Our French as a foreign language-qualified teachers and guides
VAL has formed solid partnerships with French language schools renowned for the standard of their teaching and reliability. We choose our partner language schools for their modern learning facilities, city centre locations near cultural activities and good public transport links.
Our teachers are chosen for their energy and affinity with overseas students. Our friendly guides and guide-drivers are also qualified to teach French as a foreign language and adapt to suit learners’ abilities.
Learn at your pace and level
Do you want to gain confidence speaking French and improve your language skills in the best setting?
How about delving into French culture at the same time as you learn the language with our experienced teachers? We provide a French level test to ensure students are placed in the right class for their level. Every student can pick the weekly course schedule that best suits them.
French lessons are optional (please see our “cultural stays”). French lessons tend to take place in the morning with the afternoon spent on tours or activities.
You’ll receive an end of course certificate stating the number of hours you’ve completed and the level you’ve achieved at the end of your course.
20 years of expertise supporting groups and globetrotters
The ultimate in assistance during your trip, quick solutions to suit you
Value for Money
Excellent value for money
Atout France member, constant monitoring of our services
Creativity & Diversity
Culture is what fuels us to provide unique and original trips