Ages 13 and over
Variety of accommodation
With/without French lessons
Welcome to the capital of French gastronomy!
Lyon, bright and gourmet.
If you have a penchant for French cuisine and food is your guilty pleasure then Lyon is the place for you. The capital of French gastronomy is a city with an exciting past where life between the Saône and Rhône rivers is good: Lyon has a lot to offer if you’re after a cultural language stay! Soak up the UNESCO World Heritage city as you explore the classic Canuts neighbourhoods, sample signature dishes and measure up to the best chefs! Feast your eyes on the Fête des Lumières, one of the four biggest festivals in the world.
VAL brings you a lip-smacking language stay to experience the real Lyon!
When’s the best time to visit Lyon ?
Lyon is mild all year round! A spring or summer visit means you can soak up the Saône riverbanks and outdoor activities.
If you want a unique break in Lyon with an unforgettable magical atmosphere, visit the annual Fête des Lumières on December 8th. The city glitters with tealights, sparkling scenes and avant-garde show-stopping sound and light performances. VAL will be your best guide for one of the four most popular celebrations in the world.
• CHOOSE YOUR TRAVEL OPTIONS •
Your options for a language stay in Lyon
- “Lyon Stay 5” (5 days/4 nights): 9 hrs of French lessons, 4 half-day activities, 4 overnight stays
- “Lyon Stay 6” (6 days/5 nights): 12 hrs of French lessons, 6 half-day activities, 5 overnight stays
- “Lyon Stay 6” (7 days/6 nights): 15 hrs of French lessons, 7 half-day activities, 6 overnight stays
- “Lyon Stay 14” (14 days/13 nights): 30 hrs of French lessons, 10 half-day and 2 full-day activities, 13 overnight stays
- “Cultural Lyon Stay 5” (5 days/4 nights): 2 museum tours, 1 guided tour, 3 quirky tours, 2 day trips, 4 overnight stays
- “Cultural Lyon Stay 6” (6 days/5 nights): 2 museum tours, 2 guided tours, 3 quirky tours, 2 day trips, 5 overnight stays
- “Cultural Lyon Stay 7” (7 days/6 nights): 3 museum tours, 3 guided tours, 4 quirky tours, 2 day trips, 6 overnight stays
- “Cultural Lyon Stay 14” (14 days/13 nights): 4 museum tours, 4 guided tours, 5 quirky tours, 4 day trips, 13 overnight stays.
- “Exception Lyon Stay 5” (5 days/ 4 nights) : 2 guided tours, 1 workshop, 4 tours and a show, 4 overnight stays
- “Exception Lyon Stay 6” (6 days/ 5 nights) : 3 guided tours, 2 ateliers, 5 tours and a show, 5 overnight stays
- “Exception Lyon Stay 7” (7 days/6 nights) : 4 guided tours, 3 ateliers, 5 tours, 1 day trip and a show, 6 overnight stays
- “Exception Lyon Stay 14” (14 days/13 nights): 6 guided tours, 4 workshops, 6 tours, 3 day trips and a show, 13 overnight stays
VAL’s 3 language stay packages :
Join Vacances Actives Linguistiques on a trip to Lyon with one of our travel packages:
- Language stay (cultural activities + French lessons)
- Cultural stay (trip focusing on French culture without French lessons)
- “Exception française” stay: specific break focusing on regional Lyon signatures: French gastronomy, crafts, the Canuts history, tableware, Guignol puppet shows etc.
Cultural activities include classic and quirky tours, workshops and experiences, excursions and guided tours.
Each overnight stay includes:
- Accommodation in a host family (2 or 3 students per family), residence or hotel (dorms)
- Half-board (breakfast and dinner).
Explore our wide range of travel packages based on stay length and activity schedule.
• Your activities on demand •
Cultural activities during your stay in Lyon : take your pick!
Visits and workshops
- Musée des Confluences
- L’atelier des Soieries
- Musée Louis Lumière
- Musée des Beaux Arts
- Musée des Tissus et Arts décoratifs
- Musée de l’Automobile
- Petit Musée de Guignol
- Musée Gadagne
- Musée Gallo Romain de Fourvière
- Musée de l’Imprimerie
- Musée urbain Tony Garnier (murals)
- Musée des miniatures et décors de cinéma
- Musée d’histoire de la médecine et de la pharmacie à Lyon
- Maison des Canuts
- Musée des Moulages
- La Sucrière (contemporary art)
Workshops and fun
- Pâtisserie/baking workshop
- Tableware workshop
- Cookery class with a chef
- Paul Bocuse workshop
- Passementerie workshop
- Silk weaving workshop
- Lyon old town (Traboules)
- Lyon Bouchons
- Traboules de la Croix Rousse
- Halles Paul Bocuse,
- Canut and celebrity murals
- L’Atelier de Soierie,
- Fourvière Roman Theatre and Notre Dame de Fourvière
- Central Lyon tour
- Ile Barbe vaporetto ride
- Rhône mini cruise
- The Abode of Chaos
- Parc de la Tête d’Or (picnic weather permitting)
- Medieval Lyon tour of La Sucrière
- Truands Lyon tour
- New York of the Rhône tour
South Lyon tour (Fort de Vaise and Champignonnière de Caluire)
Themed tours and experiences
- Lyon signature dishes
- Wine tasting (Beaujolais)
- Treasure hunts
- Photography tours
Day trips around LYON
- Pérouges, medieval town
- Annecy, the Venice of the Alps
- Chambéry, homeland of the Dukes of Savoy
- Vienne, Gallo-Roman ruins
- Le Puy en Velay, on the Way of Saint James
- La Balme caves
- Golden stones in Beaujolais
- Bourg en Bresse
- Yvoire and boat trip
• Take FLE lessons •
Our French schools and course schedules
Qualified French as a foreign language teachers and guides
VAL has formed strong partnerships with French language schools in Lyon renowned for the standard of their teaching and reliability. They provide a comfortable and modern place to study in central Lyon near cultural venues and within easy reach by public transport.
Our teachers are hand-picked for their teaching ability, energy and ability to support foreign learners. All our guides and guide-drivers are certified to teach French as a foreign language and can adapt their services to suit students’ abilities.
Choose your FLE course schedule
Do you want to gain confidence in your speaking skills and improve your French in record time?
Then combine language immersion with French lessons taught by our experienced teachers. We provide a French level test at the start of the stay to place students in the right groups for their level. The class schedule is up to learners to choose.
French lessons are optional (please see our “cultural stays”). French lessons tend to take place in the morning with the afternoon spent on tours or activities.
You’ll receive an end of course certificate stating the number of hours you’ve completed and the level you’ve achieved at the end of your course in Lyon.
20 years of expertise supporting groups and globetrotters
The ultimate in assistance during your trip, quick solutions to suit you
Value for Money
Excellent value for money
Atout France member, constant monitoring of our services
Creativity & Diversity
Culture is what fuels us to provide unique and original trips